Sunday, January 18, 2009

Another day for you and me in paradise

Lately I've been indulging in the past. I wish I could say that it's not like me at all to do that, but it totally is. As evidence of this I've been listening to E.L.O pretty much exclusively. Also, I have been reminiscing about my time in the states. One memory in particular:

I never had a Stag Night!


This is largely for the reason that anyone who would have attended was on a different continent. As it stands my stag night consisted of looking at boats and watching people fish with my Father-In-Law and my wife's uncle. After an exhilarating afternoon looking at boats, we headed to a local bar where we proceeded to drink one beer each before heading back to the homestead to sit around and watch Home Improvement.

I didn't have any strippers attend, nor did I get chained to a lamppost or get put on the night train to Edinburgh. Part of me is still disappointed that I missed this important rite of passage the other part of me wishes I could have just flown home and gone to The Crown for a couple of shandy's followed by a kebab.

The thing is, even though I have been thinking about the past, I still really look forward to the future. I've been reading a lot about the next generation of hybrid cars. They can run up to 50 miles on electric power. Which is great for driving about town. If the battery runs out, the petrol engine kicks in and you have about a 400 mile range before having to either refuel or recharge. Great! and most of the cars (Chevrolet Volt) don't look like a piece of cheese on wheels.

The only downside about attempting to get myself psyched about the future is the waiting. Whilst I think about the potential of hybrid vehicles, it's all too easy to think about my old cars, never driving in England, the English countryside, English pubs, my friends, things I miss/missed out on. And so the cycle is complete.

Stupid forward thinking!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you coming over next? We'll have a stag do for you, in The Crown of course, have a whip round to buy you a kebab off a moody Turk with a big knife.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I will be over at Easter! (Fingers crossed)

Baton down the batches!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home